Re: Application-to-application audio and other qs

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2018 16:53:38 +0200
On Tue, May 01, 2018 at 03:40:11PM +0200, Martin Gammelsæter wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been using jack (jackaudio.org) for my hobby audio projects for a
> while. I recently found sndio, and found that the API exposed by sndio
> looks a lot cleaner and much more elegant, which I love. I've started
> experimenting a bit with it, but I have a few questions I hope
> somebody on this list may be able to help me with:
>
> o Is there any way to do application to application audio? I've been
>   using the midithru feature of sndiod, is there something similar for
>   audio data? In jack I typically create an application for each
>   "unit" of audio processing, and patch them together.

not yet; but the plan is to use a similar approach for audio as well.

> o Is there any (planned) support for macOS/darwin? Personally I use
>   Linux, but being able to run my applications on macOS would be
>   great.

I'm interested as well but that's not easy.  The client side works on
MacOS, it allows programs using sndio on MacOS to use audio/MIDI
hardware of a Linux system (through the network). This is the easy
part. The harder part is to make sndio programs use MacOS hardware.

> PS: I made a quick hack to expose a sndio MIDI-port in jack (only
> sndio → jack, for now), so that I could test a sndio MIDI sequencer
> I've been experimenting with using jack-enabled synths. if anyone has
> similar needs, check it out: https://github.com/martingms/mio2jack
> Feedback, ideas and patches welcome :)

thanks I'll check it.