Re: Per-app volume

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 09:47:38 +0200
On Fri, Sep 04, 2015 at 02:07:22AM -0400, Daniel Wilkins wrote:
> Hey, this is something that's been on my wishlist for a while
> and I finally got around to poking in the source and it actually
> kinda seems like there's support for it in there, there's a volume
> per-stream at least. Is this a feature that's already in sndio but
> not exposed, or was I misunderstanding?

You're right, there's per-program volume and a master volume knob
in the daemon. It's exposed through standarized midi messages, so
in theory it can be controlled by either a hardware midi control
surface or by software.

You could try this utility:

http://www.sndio.org/aucatctl-0.1.tar.gz

ex:

sardine:~$ aucatctl
aucat0=127
mplayer0=105
audacio0=127
master=127
$ aucatctl mplayer0=90
mplayer0 -> 90

This is not satisying, and the plan is to add a "real" mixer api to
expose both sndiod and hardware knobs over the network. But the
code is not ready yet, so it's not enabled yet.