Re: NetBSD availability?

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 09:44:36 +0200
On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 05:43:49PM -0400, Scott Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a sndiod package available on NetBSD? I see it is listed on the web
> page, but I have not been able to find a port/package in the NetBSD ecosystem.
> I'm very new to NetBSD and the package system there is quite confusing to me,
> so I'm probably just not looking in the right place.

Hi,

IIRC, back in 2015, patches to make sndio build/work on NetBSD went
in; there's a NetBSD package, here:

https://pkgsrc.se/wip/sndio

I don't know if this is still maintained (or even still works). It's
based on a very old sndio version, which suggests it's not used.

[...]

OpenBSD and NetBSD used to have the same kernel-side audio
sub-system. Around 2016, OpenBSD kernel API was greatly simplified,
which broke NetBSD compatibility, so latest sndio won't work
out-of-the box on NetBSD.

Note that the libsndio API didn't change, so if above package works,
the same libsndio "backend" could be used with the latest sndio with
only minor tweaks.

-- Alexandre